How To Study The Bible For Massive Faith In 5 Minutes



There is a difference between reading the Bible and studying the Bible. So, here I am going to differentiate that, then we can develop more on why people who seek meaningful growth in their lives with Christ should choose one of those and be able to do so in just 5 minutes everyday. Further, I'll address the purpose of this article - how to study the Bible in 5 minutes.

What The Holy Bible Says About Studying The Bible

"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." - Hebrews 11:6

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." - Romans 10:17

"But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." - Matthew 4:4

"This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success." - Joshua 1:8

Reading Vs Studying The Bible

Google defines read as; look at and comprehend the meaning of (written or printed matter) by interpreting the characters or symbols of which it is composed while defining study as; devote time and attention to gaining knowledge of (an academic subject), especially by means of books

When you read the Holy Bible you're mostly just getting the general and literal meaning of the word as per the scripture you're reading. It informs you, but that would be all.

However, when you study the Holy Bible, you're getting informed, but then you dig deeper for understanding for concept and context. When you study, the result is usually an in-depth and emotional understanding of the scriptures. It'll allow you to meditate on the scripture. Excuse me, I mean, it will prompt you to think and recite the scriptures you have studied and therefore spring your faith to another level. You'll find yourself living and walking by faith. And, in that sense, justice and wisdom that says, "As A Man Thinketh So Is He." applies.

Why Should You Study The Holy Bible Instead of Reading The Holy Bible?

Apart from what I have already explained above? 

Well, consider the scriptures that I have shared at the beginning of this article. When you study the scripture, you're affording yourself a much deeper and relatable understanding that will always prompt your mind, mostly involuntarily to think and recite it more often. 

According to Joshua 1:8, this is a requirement for all the children of God, and it is the prerequisite for living the abundant life that's a law for all beloved sons and daughters of God. It says, ".....for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success."

Further, studying the scripture, allows you to see the Holy Bible as one comprehensive and integrated message from the Father. This is very important as it'll grant you the privilege to see how it can always be relevant in your life, in whatever age you're living in. 

I have found that in an age that is so overwhelmed with technology, new philosophies and information and even ideologies, it is virtually hard to find  Bible teachings, principles and facts relevant for application today. This may explain how there is an increasing number of Christian-turned-atheists.

My point is, studying the Bible will bring about a healthy growth of your faith, and while it may not make it easy for you to apply the things you study, it will ready you with a more richer perspective and more. It will develop the personal relationship you should have with God, and make the bond inseparable. Isn't that what we want?

How To Study The Bible In 5 Minutes.

I've always taught people to use the SOAP criteria when it comes to studying the Holy Bible. I got it from an audio sermon I listened to in 2014. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the preacher, but he is from the USA.

SOAP stands for Scripture, Observation, Application and Prayer.

Scripture 

Here, you get the scripture you want to read, say, Genesis 12:1-3

Observation

Here you are now seeking to understand further what the scripture is saying, what the things it says means for the case you're studying. For Instance in the case of the scripture we have chosen here, Genesis 12:1-4;

- “Leave your country, your kindred, and your father’s household, and go to the land I will show you...." - Abram is being instructed to leave; 
1. his country,
2. his kindred, and
3. his father's household.
God, then assures him that He will show Abram a land

Jehovah promises;
1. to make him into a great nation
2. to bless Abram
3. to make Abram a great name
all this so that Abram will be a blessing

Further, God assures Abram that He will bless those who bless him, and curse those who curse him. The Lord also promises that; all the families of the earth will be blessed through him, Abram.

Application

Having observed the scripture to get a deeper meaning, you now seek how the situation or meaning of the scripture can apply in your life, today. In this case, I could take;

- verse 1 to mean, I should leave all my ungodly ways, and lead a godly life, through which Jehovah my faithful shepherd will show me
verse 2 & 3, to mean having done what I get from verse 1, Jehovah will do exactly what He promised Abram in my life as well. 

At this point, I may want to anchor the message and have it carry more weight, I may want to dig deeper on what happened with Abram - as in, did the promises come to pass, and under the same conditions or, something changed. I may want to follow through on how Abram took and reacted to this till the end, and what other records say about Abram. I will probably end up in Genesis 15, Genesis 18, Genesis 21 and 22, Deuteronomy 28, Romans 4 and Hebrews 11. Obviously, I may have to come back to these later, but can you see how my hunger for more studying will be created and may become difficult to satiate, and that's good because, to mean something, the scripture has to find me hungry.

Prayer

Now that you have read the scripture, observed it and found it applicable in your life, you can pray about it. I mean, the Bible says, pray without ceasing.

I have used this approach for a long time and it has kept me going, I have full diaries with studies I have made, that I can almost always refer to. I can almost singularly credit this approach for most of my growth in faith. Share your thoughts in relation to this approach to studying this Bible, and any other approaches you may have you find convenient.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mothers' Day 2021: The Mbokodos Arising

Bulawayo, My Home

4 Power Rituals for Creative People. Success In Minutes With $0.